Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rhythms of the Day

S l o w l y we are adapting to new morning rituals and routines.  It has taken awhile to get used to a "no dog in my bed," and coming downstairs to the Murphy and Sage Slumber Party, No Mommy Allowed.  While I boot up my computer Murphy begins to stir, and Sage peers at me from her "clubhouse" (I figure if the whole world uses euphemisms, I can too!) then settles back in to sleep, knowing she doesn't have to run with me.  Murphy gets up, I open the back door, and she surveys her yard (not quite accepting that Sage took it over by adverse possession several years ago!).

By the time I get back, Sage is ready to rock, so I open the clubhouse, leash her up, and out the back we go.  As when she was a pup, we celebrate her first pee, a sign that all systems are doing well.  Then she checks the yard, I tether her to the climbing rope attached to the cherry tree, change into dry clothes (my running pace is so slow I am amazed a sweat, but I do...go figure), and get Murph ready for a walk around the block.  Sage is still not able to walk far, in fact, I think it will be a long time before she is able to check out the neighborhood.  However, I sneak her out into the alley so she can at least see the world beyond the fence.

I give Sage her pills, feed both of them, then finally make my latte...I am usually desperate for caffeine by then!  Maybe I need to teach Sage a new trick...here Sage, you put the espresso in here, then hit this button...

As I have said, the girls are dogs of routine and rhythms.  So getting a pattern has been helpful to all of us.  Sage seems to be gingerly, tenderly, putting some weight on her left leg, but I think we have a long way to go.  She does seem eager to amp up her activity, however.  I keep thinking she is mellow, but realize she has a certain level of activity that isn't BIG and LOUD like Murph used to be.  Even now, Murph often seems more active than Sage, but it is Sage's subtlety that I rarely notice.  But now, acting like a surveillance satellite, hovering over her to make sure we are "obeying" the vet instructions, I see her levels of activity.  Still not a retriever, but still active!

Anyway, we are doing ok.  I worry about the leg, but we will know more when the stitches are out, I suspect, or at least I can stop worrying about her licking those!  And she is grateful she can hang out outside and not be forced to watch the Tour de France!

Murphy's day and Sage's day 9 of recovery.

No comments: