Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunday at Home with Murphy and Sage

Sunday.  Usually we are out.  Fishing, skiing, hiking.  But today, home pulled at me.  Trimming the cherry tree.  Finding a new desk chair.  Cleaning.  

Murphy and Sage hung out.  Sage, always helpful, took cherry twigs and chewed.  My parents came over, and my mother worried that Murphy was not outside.  She said later: I'm just so used to her running out to great me. But soon, all the noise and hubbub called, and she stood at the back porch, bark, bark, announcing her presence.  She lumbered down and supervised the thinning.  It felt like how Sunday at home is meant to be.


Late in the afternoon we walked around the neighborhood.  As I s l o w l y  w a l k e d through Sunset Hill Park, a woman stared at Murphy.  She then said: What a beautiful dog.  Yes.  Thank you.


We turned the corner, running into our friend Molly The Chow and Mariam.  Murphy nuzzled both chow and human friend.  Sunday at home.


Murphy's day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim ~
What a wonderful trip down Memory Lane with you and Murphy! I remember her so well as a puppy at Pepsico in New York - "Mad Dog in the water!" or running through the bushes and ferns and no doubt poison ivy (which she never shared, right?)! Master Retriever of tennis balls in the fields! Hard to believe that was 14 years ago! I guess that means we're maturing, as well! HA!

I remember you trying in vain to teach me to flyfish on the Housatonic! Guess I should just stick with golf - but I was instantly taken back to that day on the Housatonic when I read your blogs today! Thanks!

Carol told me about this website and I'll keep checking in from time to time to keep up ... in the meantime I just want to say,, "Thanks, Kim, thanks for the memories!" Give Murphy & Sage a hug from their Auntie Skogi!

A bientot (whatever that means) ~
Skogi (skogibaker@hotmail.com)