Saturday, March 15, 2008

Independent Sage

Sage and Murphy cause me to think about the "nature v. nurture" debate.  Murphy has always been a "mommy's girl."  She's enjoyed her time with me.  Frequently she will end up under my desk while I am working or nuzzling me when I read in the living room.  If she is anywhere near me, she has a paw on my foot, her head in my lap, or her back against me.  

Sage is, well, independent.  I mean, I think if she could drive and write a check, she would buy her own food and chewies.  She could figure out how to live her life completely without me.  What really prompted this line of pondering was this morning.  I walked Murphy and Sage, letting them stay off leash.  At first, Sage stayed close, but when she realized I wasn't going to leash her up, she just started trotting down the walking route.  She never looked back.  It was like she was walking to work, or something.  She was in total "business" mode.  Next thing I knew we are walking down the alley and she is heading for the yard, as if that is exactly what she is supposed to do.  All without any assistance from me.  

Thank goodness Murphy is around to make me feel wanted!

Now I thinking I may have to hide my check book and hang the car keys a little higher, just so Sage does not get the idea that she can take care of everything herself!

Murphy's day.

No comments: