Saturday, March 22, 2008

Routine and rhythms

We are "creatures of habit."  On weekdays, if Murphy's toast is not ready by 8:30 AM she begins to circle from my study to the kitchen to the bottom of the stairs back to the kitchen, staring at me, nosing at my lap.  Ahem, ahem, Mommy.   Sage comes downstairs around 5:25 AM, ready to be let out in back, then waiting, patiently, while I get ready to run.  And sometime around 4 PM, they usually begin to stir, knowing a walk will be arranged shortly.  Sage leaps into the van whenever she sees anything happen that remotely suggests a trip.  She knows luggage.

I enjoy those routines and rhythms.  It's as if in this crazy, random motion world, there are events which are certain, guaranteed, known.  Yet, even in the geography of routine, there are surprises (although Murph doesn't want any surprises when it comes to her toast).  Seeing the Pileated woodpecker fly from snag to snag yesterday on our walk through the Boeing Creek watershed.  The time Sage and I encountered a coyote on the stairs to Golden Gardens.  The sudden chill in the morning air now that spring is here.  

Being organized by labs is an adventure.  But it also is like French painters who had to master classic forms before they could paint Impressionist paintings.  We are totally form driven, but within that routine, we absorb total chaos!  On our late afternoon walks Sage meets up with other pups and goes nuts romping through the creek and woods.  Murph and I share quiet moments as I hand feed her dog food on top her toast (I kid you not).

Many lab breeders seem to use some form of interview before you're allowed to take a puppy.  I can understand that.  Wanting to make sure you're ready and responsible for being owned by such a marvelous creature.  They talk a lot about routine, making sure the puppy is on a schedule.  We are a well oiled machine.  I told both Murph and Sage when I first saw them I will take care of you as best as I can for the rest of your life.  And they, I suspect, made the same promise back to me.  We enjoy our rhythms and routines.  It is how we care for each other.

Murphy's day.

No comments: