Saturday, March 1, 2008

Dogs of Hope

I have a horrible cold.  It lingers.  But this morning, while walking the dogs, I saw daffodils in the local park, and as I write this, my neighbor's lawn is being mowed.   Spring is on it's way!

While it will be a few more weeks before the balsam appears in eastern Washington, the signs of spring symbolize hope.  

A much bandied-about word these days.  Hope.  Frankly, there have been many times in my life when I have realized I haven't felt it at all.  Hopeless.  And to hear it so overused these days essentially makes a powerful emotion banal.  

Hope may come when there is light on the horizon, when you realize that there is something other than the constant sorrow and sadness you feel.  While I do not personally believe anyone can "give" you hope, I do believe those who love you can share visions of hope.  

The thing about being owned by dogs is that they are communicators of hope.  They see the best in every day.  If it's gray and raining, well, there are puddles to walk through.  Snow?  No problem, it's fun to romp around.  The early days of spring?  Well, that is heaven for a lab.  The smells, chasing bugs, the fresh grass, the back door open all day.  Doesn't get any better.  

Murphy and Sage are the dogs of hope.

Murphy's day.

No comments: