Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Benchmarks

Yes. Easter and Daylight Savings Time came early this year (for those of us up at 5 AM, Daylight Savings is a misnomer.  It is darker now that we "sprang forward" than it was three weeks ago, so much for saving energy!).  

But the spring holidays and ritual of changing clocks is a benchmark, human benchmarks, of a new season.  

Of course, there are the birds and vegetation.  My daffodils, tulips, and buds on the cherry tree.  While I was walking the girls on Saturday, I saw a Pacific-slope Flycatcher, a sure sign the migration is "on."

I think about where Murphy was last spring.  Still wanting to do ball throw, in fact, carrying her ball with her on our longer afternoon walks.  Able to go upstairs without help.  Time causes change.  I know I fret a lot about Murphy, worry she is deteriorating quickly.  But she is still here.  And this morning, when I got onto the floor to stretch after my run, she came over, nuzzling me, letting me hug and kiss her.  Over 14 years, that has not changed.  Her affection is a benchmark, too.

Murphy's day.

No comments: