Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We See Her Everywhere

On Monday we walked with Ann, Scott, Dexter, Maisey, and Bodhi (a Havanese sent to taunt Sage) along Boeing Creek.  I've been walking Sage and Murphy there for almost two years.  It's gorgeous land, part of the old Boeing estate.  Clearly Mr. Boeing allowed a forester to run amok because the vegetation is so interesting, with large DbH trees, steep slopes, and often good birding.  My kind of late afternoon walk.

Sage seems to need these dog friend walks.  Before Murph's death, she would wander on her own, enjoying her independence.  But now she is much more attuned to the other dogs, initiating play with Dexter and yesterday, trying to engage the little Bodhi.  

But on the walk, I could feel myself slow down, walking slow enough for Murphy.  And I found myself looking for her a few times.  My Murphygirl.  And Sage, I caught her in the creek, watching, then following Dexter.  It seems to me she is still looking for a guide, her older sister, to show her what a lab is supposed to do.  I think I am looking, too.

Murphy's day.

No comments: