Saturday, December 13, 2008

Spend Time with Sage

Last night I spent a few relaxing moments (ha!) cleaning out my email in box.  I tend to neglect the delete button, and given the number of list servs I am on (fly fishing, environmental journalists - who by the way, write a lot - ecologists, community foresters, several news feeds) email tends to accumulate.  As I was going down the emails, I found one from Murphy and Sage's breeder, my friend Mary.  It was sent a few days after Murphy died.  She talked about Murphy's mom, who Mary adored, grieving, and then said: spend time with Sage and let's talk at some point about another girl.

Several days after Murphy died, Sage initiated a new routine.  After we come in from our walk and she finishes her breakfast and I am desperately trying to make my latte (I've been up at this point over two hours and no coffee, go figure), she finds her football and drops it at my feet.  Game on, Mommie.

So, before the milk is steamed, the house becomes 100 yards and it's the Kissing Lab versus the Mommy.  Sage has yet to learn offsides, but she is fabulous at scrambling out of the pocket, although she doesn't yet know how to make a beeline to the end zone.  

It's clear she needs more than walks, food, warm place to sleep.  She needs interaction.  And while in Murph's last year she didn't exactly play with Sage, they still had very interconnected lives.  

Spend time with Sage.  

It's a long season here in the Yellow Lab League.  We're beginning to think we need to have a Rose Bowl Parade before one of our games.

Murphy's day.

No comments: