Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dogs that Come for Christmas

Both Sage and Murphy were born near Christmas.  I was remembering the email I received from their breeder, almost five years ago.  On a Sunday morning.  I just had a litter of puppies and was wondering if you wanted one of the two females.  I am keeping one.  Call me.  Hmmm.  It took, oh, what, one second before I was on the phone.  And two months later, I flew back to Washington, DC to get Sage.  

So Saturday morning I received an email from a friend I have known almost my whole life.  It was one of those forwarded to everyone she knows things about puppies available from a raid on a puppy mill.  It was tempting.  

But I looked at Sage, then we took a long walk, and I realized we were not ready, yet.  Our hearts are open, but we still have a lot of adjusting to do.  It's only been 6 months since her surgery, the Holidays are coming up, and well, we need to just let ourselves heal a bit more.

But it was good to know our hearts had not shut any doors.  

The Christmas tree went up, lights hung, music on the CD player.  My Christmas dog is at my feet as I type this.  She is a gift.

Murphy's day.

No comments: