Thursday, August 14, 2008

What We Know So Far


With increasing frequency, I know of pups whose knees are hurting and vets recommending surgery.  On Tuesday it hit a friend, whose Golden Retriever is a silly, rolls with the punches kinda' dog.  I remember scouring the Internet (I am convinced doctors and vets just roll their eyes when I come in loaded with all my Internet driven questions), looking for "practical" advice.  Not that anything we have been through is practical...

  • When the vet says keep the pup quiet before surgery, try hard to do that.  We, of course, went to eastern Washington, where Sage roared into the river, then did a mad dog, resulting in a really bad limp.  I was well down the road of thinking I could keep her quiet forever and not have the surgery until that moment.
  • The day of the surgery, plan things to do and don't stare at the clock worrying about where your pup is right now.
  • Trust me, when you go to pick your dog up, her tail will wag and she'll want to be out of the vet's office well before you've written the check.  And trust me, the vet tech will stop you to grab your check.
  • Pain meds are your friend.  Stay ahead of the pain for the dog.
  • Just because they seem to be feeling better, doesn't mean they should be allowed to climb stairs, go outside on their own, etc.  This is all about becoming the brake, the stop sign for your dog.
  • I have one word: chewsticks.
  • Ok, I have two words: stuffed toy.  I bought a little stuffed toy for Sage which she just loves.  A coming home present.
  • I have three words: treat filled Kong.
  • Do your research about the two types of knee surgery.  I opted for the ACL surgery, just because I trusted the vet.  Probably not the best reason, but so far I am happy.
  • Get into a routine.  Especially with two dogs, a routine really helps.  
  • The first night sleeping with the pup is, I  think, more for you than the dog, but it did make me feel better, despite not sleeping.  I could hold Sage and made sure she had her meds in the middle of the night.  Now I medicate just before bed and when she gets up.
  • Obviously life changes.  While Sage was in surgery, I made a list of all the things I could do while "waiting around" for her recovery.  Needless to say I have done only a few of those things, but I have been very busy.  And then, sooner than you think, the dog is able to start doing more things with you.  I am careful, however, especially after week two thinking she could swim the English Channel.  In perspective, I think of how I should live at least 20 more years, Sage maybe has half of that, and one summer of semi-quiet isn't going to kill either one of us.
  • Realize the dog is a celebrity.  I can not tell you how many people, even folks I don't know, ask me about Sage.  I am merely the leash holder.
  • Some of you already know this about me, but I sing to the "girls."  Usually country-western tunes ("Don't take my lab, she's all I've got") but recently I have been doing Beach Boy's songs.  Sage's favorite currently is: "California Labs."  Singing helps.
I'll do more thoughts later....

Murphy's day and Sage getting better every day.

No comments: