Friday, August 22, 2008

Just Labs

Believe it or not there is a magazine called Just Labs.  The recent issue came yesterday and it was devoted to older labs.  I devoured the articles, which didn't really tell me anything I wasn't experiencing with Murphy, but confirmed all is part of the aging process.  As we both stiffly walk around the house in the morning, I was wondering about an article about aging moms of labs!

Several days ago I met a man involved in forest activism.  He is owned by a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Stella.  While he was regaling me with his exploits in confronting the US Forest Service and trips he'd taken with his dog, I told him I am owned by two Yellow labs.  His response was dismissive, as if labs were not as "cool" as his dog.  Just as I was willing to excuse his arrogance he dismissed "the girls."  Fortunately it was at the end of the meeting, I got up to leave.  I would never think to dismiss anyone else's dogs, although I have to admit, I am a just lab kinda' gal!

Murphy is a little more than 4 months shy of her 15th birthday.  I scoured the magazine for ages of elder dogs and found nothing about labs that old.  Everyday it is something different, we hit on a routine for a few days, then it will change.  But it's good.  We're a just lab kinda' home!

Murphy's day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am owned by both a lab (black) AND a Rhodesian Ridgeback. While I could not "dismiss" any dog (I don't think!), I could (and do quite regularly) dismiss their people. Why can't more people be like their dogs, anyway??? Way to go, Murphy - hope you have an awesome 15th.

Heidi & Aysha & Bo