Thursday, June 12, 2008

Soothing from a Rough Night

I can hear it.  It is a mother's prerogative, I suppose, that I can hear Murphy at night.  She was panting, walking, no, pacing downstairs.  Finally, around 2 AM she barked.  I got up, came down stairs, and she was laying on the tile.  No collar.  I sniffed, thinking she had an accident and was stressed about that.  Nothing.  She got up.

We walked over to her bed, her collar had some how slipped off, and she'd wrestled the blanket covering the heating pad.  The new things must have upset her, or unnerved her, even though she'd slept on them all day.  It's been cold and I thought the heating pad would help her hips.

I pulled the blanket and heating pad off.  Gently guided her back on the bed, took her collar to the kitchen counter, and went back to bed myself.  I listened for about a half hour.

When I came down at 5 AM this is how she was.  

Somehow removing the blanket soothed her.  She didn't even give me an open eye when I took this picture.   I wonder if she can take a picture of me napping this afternoon!

Murphy's day.

No comments: