Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sage and Dr. Nancy

Sage went to the vet yesterday.  She has been periodically limping on her left hind leg.  She does not like trips to the vet, shaking and hiding underneath my chair.  It breaks my heart, especially since Murphy and Dr. Nancy are good friends.  But no matter how many treats Nancy offers to Sage (which, despite her fear of vets, Sage still eats the treats), there is no peace treaty.  Grrrrr.  Nancy takes her outside, lets her walk, looking at her leg.  The minute they return, she growls.

We don't know what is wrong, yet.  Sage goes in on Tuesday for x-rays.  Anesthesia.  My poor Sage.  And then Murph, who has been having a few in-the-middle-of-the-night pees.  Probably a reflex, which can be treated.  It will be a long day, Tuesday.  

I suspect Sage picks up on my own nervousness about "anything wrong" with the girls.  I can only imagine how my mother was, the 50  million times I had to go to the various doctors...broken, sprained, strained, stitches, concussions, breaks.  She must have been a nervous wreck.  In fact, when I left the vet, the first call on my cell phone came from my mother.  She understands.

But the good thing about Dr. Nancy is she is so caring, despite of Sage's growling.  She was going to take July off (she is in semi-retirement) but is going to come in for Sage and Murph.  She knows how I love them, and knows her work is vital for their lives.  She has done a great job for Murphy.  I firmly believe that the reason Murphy is doing as well as she is doing is because of Nancy's good care over the past 13 years.  

As I left the clinic, my namesake vet tech, Kim, told Nancy there was a dog in "room number 1" with a huge gash in her head.  I walked Sage to the car, where Murph was sleeping, and hugged them both, glad the things in their lives can be treated, that they are safe.

Murphy and Sages' day.

No comments: