Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Big Sisters

Sage and Murphy have had a complicated relationship.  Murphy is the gentlest dog.  I think I have only heard her growl once in 14 years.  She is the type of lab that lets kids pull at her ears, other dogs sniff her everywhere, and will patiently endure any number of weird hats that I put on her head.  Sage is top dog.  She butts Murphy out of her way, growls when Maisy, Dexter , or Pele try to get in her car,  runs toward little kids like they are pups who want to play.  I have written in prior posts that Sage and Murphy as a laboratory for the nature v. nurture debate.

In the past few months, as I have noticed every nuance of Murphy's aging, so has Sage.  It hasn't stopped her from butting her sister out of the way when there is food or treats, but I have witnessed Sage showering Murph with ear kisses, nuzzles, and other endearments.  Sage seems more patient with her big sister.

Maybe I am finally noticing, it also seems that Sage is trying to be Murphy.  Well, she tries to be Murphy if she thinks Murph is getting something she is not (she is still intensely curious about Murph's meds, as in why am I not getting one of those? ), she is also shooting into the kitchen when she hears meat being unwrapped (a Murphy moment), and enjoying the simple life of hanging out in the yard.  This is what real labs do, huh Murph.  We're being real labs.

Murphy takes it all in stride.  As if she always expected Sage would wise up.  I keep wondering, though, if Sage will ever become the retrieving maniac like Murphy.  I still have a huge stockpile of tennis balls.  

Murphy's day.

No comments: