Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Best Gift

Murphy and I have celebrated 14 birthdays together.  I reminded her, yesterday, of several memorable ones.  The year I turned, ummmm, well, never mind, but also graduated from Yale.  Now that was a party.  I have a picture of her celebrating with me.  She is a Yalie, through and through, having skidded the School of Forestry Christmas trees through the courtyard of Sage Hall, worked with me on my thesis along the Housatonic (phew, now that was work, but someone had to do it!), and romped with the other Yale dogs on the Marsh Hall lawn.  

Oh, but we reminisce...the important point here is that we have logged some miles together.  

And every birthday I realize the most important present is Murphy.  Yesterday, I came downstairs, read the papers on-line, poured my orange juice and prepared for my run.  Usually Murph sleeps through the whole routine, and really doesn't wake until, yes, it's true, an hour later, I return from my shuffle.  But this time, she stirred, walked into the kitchen, and nuzzled my legs.  Happy birthday, Mommy.

We have spent 14 years together.   Many many memories.  Each one precious.  She is the best gift.

Murphy's day.

No comments: