Friday, April 18, 2008

We Have Our Community

The headlines are not good.  The price of grains are soaring.  A fly fishing friend in New Zealand writes of issues with rice, drought in Australia, and riots in Southeast Asia.  Wheat futures are soaring and small bakeries are beginning to close their doors.  Microbreweries are shutting down because hops prices have sky rocketed.  Our own politicians seem to dither about viaducts, bridges, mortgage relief, wars, border fences, airline delays, oil.  I find myself watching sports rather than presidential debates.

Several nights ago while walking the dogs, my friend, Ann talked about politics and then said: "It's ok, we have our community."  It reminded me of my father, who always said that politics didn't get him too excited, what mattered most was his family.  We have our community.

Murphy and Sage have given me the opportunity to meet terrific people.  My community.  When I was sick earlier this week I thought about all the folks I could call to help with the "girls" if I couldn't get them out.  The list was long.  Hopefully every one knows I would always do the same.  Our community.

In lieu of reading the headlines or watching debates, I vote for time with friends.  And more than likely, we can solve the world's problems!  

Murphy's day.

No comments: