Wednesday, April 30, 2008

She Seems Content

It's been about a week, now, since Murph started sleeping downstairs.  I miss her.  

But this morning when I came down, she looked up, her face in that squished look we all have when we wake, sniffed, and then went back to sleep.  She seems content.  

We have been moving my parents.  And I have been looking at photos.  I must have sent my mother dozens of Murphy puppy pictures.   There were lots of photos of Riley The Wheaten Terrier and Alex, my Airedale, but I noticed how many pictures of Murphy I sent to my mother.  All puppies are cute, but Murphy, well, she was adorable.  She was my buddy.  

I noticed in the pictures that she clung to her older sister, Riley, in the same ways Sage does to Murph.  Imitating.  Is this how dogs sleep on beds, Riley?  Is this how dogs walk through the park?  Is this how dogs tear apart stuffed toys?  While Murphy may have followed Riley, she didn't absorb Riley's sense of entitlement.  Murph has always been a "blue collar dog," (ok, she has always worn a red collar from Orvis).  Which isn't to say she doesn't have nobility, but she is more like the princess who know she never  will  be queen, than "next in line" attitude Riley demonstrated.  Or in the current vernacular, you'd want to have a beer with Murphy.

Even though Murphy and I are not sleeping together, we are still getting lots of time.  Her new thing is to sleep wedged between the coffee table and my sofa in the study.  She is close to my desk and to me.   Mom, quit surfing the web and get to work!  Ahem, are you working?  Why are you looking at a web page about spring creeks in Montana (sorry Dave!).  I guess when you're self employed you still have to have a supervisor!

Murphy's day.

No comments: