Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hiding Out

It's not even hot, and the "girls" have found the cool spot!  Ever since I got Sage, she has been pulled to small, cozy spots.  The first day, when I was walking around Annapolis, Maryland, she tried to hide under the rental car.  Then, instead of snuggling in my arms, she wanted to sleep in my luggage on the drive to the airport.  I sweated whether she would feel ok being stuck in a dog carrier under the airplane seat, but she seemed happy (much less, that she attracted all the flight attendants who took pictures of her, and the head flight attendant who kept trying to feed her steak!).  In hotels she frequently will nap underneath a table or in a small bathroom.  

Murphy's love of small, tight, places is even more interesting.  I have a deck on the side of the house.  More tennis balls than are used at Wimbleton are underneath there, and in Murphy's hayday, she would spend hours gazing under the deck, barking at the balls: woof woof I see you, come here.  Or actually, Mom, come and get my tennis ball.  Isn't that what rakes are for?  Anyway, one summer night many years ago, before Sage, the house was a little too quiet.  Riley, the Wheaten terrier was around, but no Murphy.  Riley, where is Murphy?  I walked out the back yard, nothing.  Hmmm.  Finally, I walk through the side yard, and hear a tiny yip.  I peer under the deck, and Murphy is stuck, way up under it.  

About fifteen minutes later, with an operation that felt similar in adrenaline rush to operating the "jaws of life" Murphy was free.  Saws, crowbars, hammers...poor Murphy.  Maybe, my mother said stating the obvious, you might want to think about fencing off the hole she crawled through.  

We've had our adventures, Murphy and me.  I suspect under the trailer will become the Lab Clubhouse Mommie Stay Out.  It will be cool, offers a vantage point for Sage to survey "her land," and a place for Murph to feel the heat on her hips but stay cool.  At least I can keep an eye on them and not have to rescue!

Murphy's day.

No comments: