Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thinking About Road Trips

Perhaps I am a "classic American girl" because I like "classic" American things: hamburgers, milkshakes, long road trips.  And I have figured out that long road trips are far far better with the dogs.  They add great memories.

I remember when I drove from New York to Seattle, with Murphy and my Wheaten terrier, Riley.  We were in the middle of North Dakota and I got the girls out, on a dirt road, for a long walk.  We strolled down the road, the girls investigating the culvert, the fields, when the road made a corner around the section line.  Riley refused to go any further.  We'd been traveling for about a week, the Subaru had become her new home, and by-God, she wasn't going to let it get out of her sight.

The thing about road trips is you can see new things, revisit old favorites, and let your mind wander as you drive...plus, when traveling with dogs, you actually stop, a lot, and enjoy places that you might normally drive by.

It's been a summer without a long road trip.  I need one.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: