Monday, August 1, 2011

It Was A Long Weekend

The emotional "safe harbor" for this weekend was supposed to be a hike into Cutthroat Lake and some fishing before I went onto Bellingham and a memorial service for my mother-in-law Evelyn Mason Brueggeman.  But the a huge huge section of the North Cascade Highway was being re-paved and after having sat in a long construction delay, there was not enough time to hike in and make it to Bellingham on Saturday night.  So, I was not able to spend the time just soaking up my sense of the world.

Sunday, the day of the memorial, was emotional.  Bellingham as Doug's hometown and we spent many many weekends and good times there and on Lake Whatcom.  The memorial was lovely, her remaining two sons, David and Don Mason led a wonderful tribute to a remarkable woman.  She has been a part of my life since 1976 and I do and shall miss her terribly.

In 1994, the dog that Doug and I got together, Alexis (Alex) died.  She got me through his death, law school, and many other ups and downs in life.  Her death symbolized for me a passing of a great connection I had with Doug.  And Evelyn's death does the same thing.  It's as if my life's history is fading....it's hard.

I need to fish.  The girls need to get out.  It's been a tough tough weekend and we need to find some solace.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: