Monday, November 24, 2008

Murphy 1994-2008

Early this afternoon, Murphy died in my arms.  She was the most noble and graceful friend.  And did I also mention stunningly beautiful?  In our 14 years together we travelled many miles physically and emotionally.  Her love of life was unbounded, her love of tennis balls intense, her love of leftovers was delightful.  She could hear hamburger unwrapped from miles away.

To the end she continued with her joie de vivre, participating in Sage's daily football practices, following her nose to the kitchen when the roast was put in the oven, and finding that special spot in the sun at Murphy's Canyon.  Oh, and did I mention she was beautiful?

Murphy travelled all over this country: From New York, Vermont, Michigan, North Dakota, Montana, Arizona, Utah, California...and in each place she probably lost at least one tennis ball.  Archeologists years from now will be studying Murphy's DNA after they uncover each of them in some National Geographic expedition.  And in each place, she made friends and embraced the landscape, whether hurling herself into a river, swimming across a lake, doing a mad dog around a tree.

But more important than her travels was the journey we shared.  She gave me all heart all the time.  Even this morning, early this morning, she perked up as I walked into the room.  I am bounded to her love and hope that I may learn to be as graceful and elegant as she was in accepting our foibles and mistakes, realizng as she would say with a sigh and her brown eyes: it's ok Mommie, you're only human.

I shall miss her terribly.  The ache for me has only begun.  But I also want to give thanks, not only to a great great dog (and did I mention she was beautiful?), but also to her friends and family.  Each and every one of you made Murphy what she is, and she knew that.

For now, I will continue writing on this blog.  It's time to grieve, to ache, and to reflect on her life.  Sage already seems curious why Murphy is not here.  I am too.  My good friend Dave told me that after his two beloved cats died he still  saw them peering around the corner.  I shall listen for Murphy's bark, her call of the wild, come, throw the ball for me!  Kate, who knew Murphy from the moment she came home, reminded me, of course, of the shredded baskets and hats, and the several pairs of expensive shoes...but of course, she only ate one of the pairs!  Ah, but even those memories seem wonderful and I would gladly give up the shoes for Murph.  Please feel free to share your memories of her, it will help, I feel, fill up the empty space right now.

It's a good thing God has a good throwing arm, because Murphy will certainly keep Him busy.

Murphy's day.

No comments: