Sunday, September 28, 2008

Travels with Murphy

Murphy has always been adaptable.  And she has been more than willing to travel with me.  She has spent luxurious nights in fancy hotels in San Francisco, dumps in Whitefish, and  every Best Western and Holiday Inn between Billings and Spokane.  She charmed the owners of a five star hotel in Sedona, mooched hamburgers in Park City, and puffed-up the pillows after a long day in Livingston.  

I fear our hotel days are over, though.  A wedding took us to Spokane last weekend.  The first night, in a hotel she has stayed in many times, was very tough.  She was totally, I think, disoriented, even though I brought her bed.  While Sage was happily snuggled in on the pillows, Murphy paced and panted.  Finally, around 4:30 AM, I took her to the car, where at 6:30 AM I found her sound asleep.

The same thing happened the next night.

And four nights later, she paced until she finally fell asleep while staying at a Holiday Inn she knows quite well.

I suspect we are in the time of routines.  

When we got home last night she walked over to her food bowl, climbed onto her bed, in the same spot it has been since we moved to Seattle, and fell asleep.  She has been content since then.

My travels and adventures with Murphy have been the highlight of my life.  I have shared many of them with all of you.  I always thought that when we knew her time with me was almost up we would share one last road trip.  But now I am aware that might be the hardest thing for her.  Perhaps,  perhaps what may be the best is to just hold her, let her know this is her home.

Nonetheless, we will still travel.   Our hearts and heads are full of great memories.  And we certainly have places to go that will not send her into a panic.  Each step, now days, is  a journey and we are learning about each other's frailties as we go along.

Murphy's day.

No comments: