Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Miracle Girl

Periodically I send pictures of Murphy and Sage to my friend, Mary, who was their breeder.  She lives in Maryland and hasn't seen either of them since I drove away, lab pups in my arms (she promises she will get to Seattle...).  

Two pics in her email inbox brought a reply about Murphy, how amazing she is, a miracle girl.  She is 4 months away from being 15.  

Her mother, Cameo, was much loved by Mary.  And Murphy reminds her of that dog, her face, her attitude.  I remember seeing Cameo the first time I met Murph.  Mary had two labs, Cameo and her mother.  They were like pals, coming to the back door as Mary and I walked through, going downstairs to check on the pups with us.  

Sage and Murph, although only related by human Mom, are like that.  If I leave early in the morning, they come to the back porch, staring at me, as if I was breaching some protocol to leave without their permission.  And when I walk through the door, they are both there, Sage, of course, trying to shove Murph out of the way: Me, Mommie, pet me first!

More than longevity, though, Murph is a miracle girl.  Loving, kind, gentle, full of adventure, willing, even to this day, to "go along," so trusting.  Yet she still has her stubborn streak, which is why, I suspect, she is still here.  She will know and let me know when the time is right.  But now, we celebrate Miracle Girl.

Murphy's day.

No comments: