Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tired Ol' Hips

Murphy has been an avid snowshoe and cross country ski dog.  She would not just "come along," but rather blaze the trail.  Sometimes I all I could see of her was the tip of her tail and maybe her ears flapping as she plowed a path 25 feet ahead of me.  
Then she would demonstrate her luge or skeleton ability.  Head first she would slide down a hill.  I could almost hear her "whoopie" as she descended.


But  now it's hard for her.  If she postholes, she struggles getting back up.  Her back hips must hurt and it's hard for her to muster the energy it takes to pull herself out of the hole.  


It's hard watching someone you love struggle trying to do something they love.  I will continue to get Murphy out in the snow.  It will be easier as Spring comes, and  the snow is crusty, the paths more defined.  And I will dote, staying closer to her, to help pull her out if she does posthole or get stuck.  I don't want to restrict her, to leave her in the car or even at home.  I think banishment may be worse for a lab than the struggle.  At least if she is out there, inside her head she can still "whoppie!"


Murphy's day.

No comments: