Monday, February 11, 2008

But We've Got to Have Friends

I used to joke that whenever I ran without Murphy people would ask: "where's Murphy?" But if she ever ran without me, no one would ask her "where's Kim?"  Murphy has a following that is loyal and dedicated.  
Recently I have been wondering how I will be able to form the words, to say, anything about Murphy when I have to tell each of her friends that she is gone.  Unusual for an English major  (much  less an overly verbal person), but I am not sure I know the words.

  I remember when Doug died, I forced myself to say he was dead, not passed on, but dead.  As if by saying the word, my imagination was barricaded from trying to believe he was still alive.  But with Murphy, I know it will be different.  When I had to put Riley down I could not even be in the house.  She was still too present.  I took Murph and Sage up to the Middle Fork of the Teanaway, just to find solace on a river, to let the water flow around me, thousands of molecules of tears.  But with Murphy...I will have no words.

Because of Murphy and Sage, we have met some terrific people.  This weekend we ran into friends all over the city, people we'd met only because of the dogs.
We took tea to a friend who is dealing with some family stuff.  We ran with another friend, talking about her 5th grade students.  And we laughed with Julie and Steve who are also owned by the gorgeous Yellow lab Cooper.  We ran into (and almost over) them at the park.  Then there are the dogless neighbors whose 3 year old daughter grinned when reminded that I was the "yellow dog lady"  who we talked with at the caucuses.  Murphy has nuzzled both of their children (in lab fashion, knowing the nuzzling scores cute points but really looking for crumbs).


Years ago when my Airedale Alex died, I went to work the next day and felt so alone.  There were not many, if anyone at all, at my office who had been owned by a dog for almost 16 years.  There was, for the longest time, a gnawing alone feeling.  But with all the friends, all the wonderful people who know and love Murphy, I know we are part of a tribe.  I am the "Yellow Dog Lady."  If I stand, not able to say anything at all, I know you will all know the answer to "where's Murphy."


Murphy's day.

No comments: