Monday, February 4, 2008

Murphy Girl

Murphygirl.  Murphy Lulu.  Murphy Magoo. Boogaloo.  Mistress Murphy Barksalot.  She has many nicknames.   All given to her in affection.  

In the writing I am doing, the young men and women who committed "ecotage" used nicknames to disguise themselves, to hide.
  
And in various cultures including our own we have nom de guerre and nom de plume, ways of hiding our identities.  I think the "war names and writers names" are also a way of hiding from what the person is doing.  If I am not called by my real name, by who I am, how can I be responsible for war?  



But Murphy's nicknames are part of her identity.  They help embellish her silliness, her sense of living in the moment, her gusto.  Her nicknames are a billboard advertising who she is and what she is about. 
 


I think Murphy's nicknames should be considered nom de paix.




Murphy's day.

No comments: