Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Knowing Where to Run

As many of you know, I run.  Ok, I slog.  It's been part of my morning ritual since 1978 (and my knees have all the wear and tear of balled tires to prove it!).

I thoroughly enjoy running with the girls, although I've had many dogs who get out the front door, and a block later have a sit down protest.  I am also careful not to run with any dog too often on the pavement. I'm better to the dog's knees than I am my own...

That said, there is nothing better than my weekend runs.  I always try to find someplace to run on a trail (my knees are grateful) and where I can let the girls run amok.  Dog's natural habitat is running off leash, nose totally planted in scent.

Finding those places close or in the city is very very difficult.  While many city's think it is hip to advertise that they are "dog friendly" I think what they mean is do they have chi-chi pet stores with high end doggie sweaters and fancy collars.  My girls have nothing chi-chi (soiled and stained years old Orvis collars and mud-caked towels to wipe their extraordinarily muddy paws are the best I can do).

Our solution is either we skulk around, illegally, in city parks, trying to get a run, or we head for the hills.

It's one of the reasons we're in eastern Washington so often.  They don't have very many chi-chi pet stores and they understand dogs need to run.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: