Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Growing Up

My mother used to tell me stories about how she would cry at milestones as I grew up: walking to school the first day of kindergarten, the day I switched from pencil to cartridge pen (yeah, that sure ages me), when I entered junior high...you get the drift.  She admitted to me that she always wanted me to stay little.

This is a picture of Annie when she was about 5 1/2 months old.  She seems so little.  But the great thing about labs is that they stay young in spirit and energy for years and years.  While they don't stay "small," (which by the way, there is no such thing as a small lab...), they stay young.

It's something to think about.  I am not sure my mom ever saw me dance in the grocery store aisle to "shopping" music, or heard me sing my country-western songs in the shower, or heard my screams of delight when I caught a gorgeous west slope cutthroat.  But she did know I was young...it was our gift to each other because I also watched her youthful delight in life, especially when she was around the "girls."

It's that lab symbiotic relationship with people they know love them.  Labs make us young.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: