Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Back When Life Was Simple

Ah, we're sorry the posts have not been getting published in the morning. It's not us, it's the blogging site I use. Life used to be simple, now technical glitches emanating from some Silicon office complex can totally ruin a Murphy's Day post! Think of it!

Ruminating on simpler times and the 4th of July. Aside from the loud noises, I actually love the 4th of July. I like the romantic idea of picnics, horse shoe games, bands playing Souza, and that dewey-eyed patriotism. I remember Murphy's first 4h of July. A co-worker who had married and divorced well, invited me to her "country" place in Litchfield, Connecticut. For those who do not live in the greater New York area, Litchfield is "second home" country to the really wealthy. The ones who don't want their names splashed all over society pages, but rather go to their homes for lovely weekends of tennis, walks in the fields, birding, well cooked meals, you get the idea.

So off we went to this home, spread over 40 acres, a lovely little stream running through it (a trib, I think, of the Housatonic which Murphy and I frequently fished), wide open fields. Riley, my Wheaten Terrier found a cool spot on the gorgeous kitchen tile floor, keeping an eye on the meal, the kids, and the food. Murphy, on the other hand, went nuts. Sitting in the kitchen all I could see were streaks of yellow as she ran all over the place. When I finally left, I collected her, sopping wet from hanging out in the stream. We drove home, Murphy riding shotgun, with her wet puppy head on my lap as we watched fireworks from Danbury, Connecticut to Rye, New York. It was a memorable day and sometimes I can still feel her wet head resting on my lap.

Murphy's day.

No comments: