Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tenderness

As dogs age there is a certain tenderness.  Sage was always a sweet girl, but in her last half of the year, we both shared a certain tenderness.  Every morning I would walk her in the neighborhood, going out the front door before it was light, walking down the street sharing our impressions of the day.  On occasion, we would run into friends who would greet Sage...as Sharon called her, the Grand Dame of Ballard....and she would wag her tail and do her little dance.

Then I began feeding her by hand.  I would sit on the floor, gather a scoop of food in my hand, and she would eat, coming back for more and more until her bowl was empty and I would sigh, knowing she was ok for another day.

I am so grateful for those moments, for that time together.  She got all of my love, focused on her and she continued to give me all of her love.

Tenderness is a two way street with labs.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: