Thursday, June 7, 2012

Just Labs

At a luncheon (apparently people still do luncheons) on Saturday, I met a couple who had a 15 year old adopted dog.  Copper.  Of course, we then talked dogs.  And when asked what "kind" of dogs I had I responded: "just labs."

There is a magazine devoted to those of us who are crazy enough to be owned by labs.  And indeed, there are people who are owned by more than 3 (I can even imagine the chaos)!

I have become a "lab person."  I can not even imagine another breed...although the idea of having a smaller dog when I am older seems logical and realistic.  And I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed my two terriers, Alexis and Riley.  But these labs, they are such characters, as my mother would say.  They are clowns, protectors, prime athletes, hunters, goon-balls, amazing eating machines, couch potatoes (no, they are not allowed on my furniture but they do rule the bed), best friends, confidantes, exercise coaches, life coaches, fly fishing amigos, refrigerator cleaners, dust creators, Yoga practitioners (Sage does the best Downward Facing Dog), babysitters, and did I mention clowns?

Sage, Annie Oakley, and Willa each have a bit of Murphy in them (Annie is actually related, distantly, to her), which also gives me a sense of continuity in my life.

Yep, just labs.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: