Tuesday, March 20, 2012

In the Library

You know that sound, when you enter a library and realize how quiet it is.  Sage is becoming a librarian, very quiet.  She seems to be aging faster than Murphy did.  Sage is only 8, which, of course, seems young to me.  I wonder whether her ACL surgery prematurely aged her, or if she is suffering from arthritis in her "good knee" and prefers being quiet.  She always seems eager to go, but she spends much of the day being quiet,  and when she is asked to join an activity, she is anxious about coming down stairs (unavoidable in this house) and then just wants to sniff and explore in the yard.

After Murphy died I realized Sage and I could have entered a quiet old age together.  Annie, always athletic, changed that and forced Sage to get a little bit more active.  And Annie continues to encourage Sage to participate.  Even Willa tries to get Sage to join in a chase or "catch me if you can."  But really, Sage just wants to be quiet.

As I type this she is on her bed next to my desk.  I can hear her breathing, in a deep sleep.  Annie and Willa are upstairs, I can hear the loud thumping of active play.  I am enjoying the simplicity of being in the library with Sage.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: