Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Under Western Skies

Life, Murphy would remind me, is a series of transitions.  Childhood, school, relationships, parents, homes, places we play and live.  Sometimes we make transitions and then stay.  Other times it's a continuum.  Often we make the transitions intentionally, we buy a home, we get married, we find a job, have children.  Other times events cause the transitions.  Deaths of loved ones, losses of other kinds, even circumstances not even thought about....

Sage and Annie sense I am in a transition.  I think a lot about what is next in my life?  Should I stay in Seattle?  Move to fishing nirvana in Montana or Idaho?  Get out of a city that seems to be adding more and more people, more and more stress, and less and less enjoyment?  The girls sense I am in a transition.  I am quiet when we walk.  I spend minutes mulling a simple transaction, imagining whether drive through tellers in Montana have just as much fun with Sage and Annie as Kelli at my bank.  I wonder whether the Western Skies are watching us as we think and feel our way through this transition.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: