Monday, July 11, 2011

Getting Out of Town

Recently I have been cranky about the so-called "new urbanists" who have this belief that anyone who lives in a city soooooo thoroughly enjoys staying in the city there is no need for a car, no need to get out and see the rest of the world (unless, of course, you fly there which oh, by the way, airplanes release more greenhouse gases than driving, but hey....).  These "new urbanists" paint a culture where you live and work in the same building, walk to "sweet little shops" that are located within walking distance, and isn't life grand?

Me?  Well, I've got to get out of the city.  And so do the girls.  I reside in the city because, at this moment, it's where my house is, but it isn't where we live.  Our hearts and souls live near a river, underneath a Ponderosa pine, around a trail from an Aspen stand.  I'd rather work standing in a river than sitting in front of a computer, I'd rather shop at fly fishing stores in a small town in Idaho, and I'd rather find my friends scattered around the countryside.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: