Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Not A New Urbanist

The City of Seattle is going through changes.  What is the line that Ronald Reagan said (which I am totally changing): "I didn't leave the City of Seattle, the City of Seattle left me."  This city is no longer fun or interesting for me to live in, rather it is filled with city officials bickering over major issues, increasing costs of living here, and a sense that it's more about "gotcha'" than helping all of us live together.  Diversity of opinion is not an option in Seattle.

Several days ago when walking the dogs I ran into a woman with a lovely English sheepdog who used to live in my neighborhood.  She moved out of the city.  And as we talked, she almost had me convinced to make a run for the border.

New urbanists have a utopian view of what cities should be.  That somehow we will all raise our own food, ride bikes everywhere, and live in tiny apartments next to train stations and swanky bars.

My girls need room to romp.  We are definitely not new urbanists.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: