Thursday, May 14, 2009

Caregiving

I have spent the past two weeks caregiving for my father while my mother is in the hospital and nursing facility.  

Last night I was thinking about the caregiving I did for Murph.  During her last year I sometimes fed her by hand, helped her in and out of the car, bathed and cleaned her as she became incontinent.  It was a labor of love for my girl.

But we all should be cared for as we become elder tribe members.  Murphy, like my parents, gave and gave and gave some more.  Even when she was weak or feeble, she gave me so much love, unconditional love.  The same is true for my parents.  

It's tough watching ourselves age.  We never think it will happen then all of a sudden, it's a stiff joint, aching muscles, gray hair...but we all need caregiving.  The girls are great at giving it every day.  Hopefully we all do the same for those we love.

Murphy's day.

No comments: