Thursday, March 5, 2009

Guppy

I realized yesterday that my benchmark for all dogs is Murphy.  And I keep watching Annie wondering how she will measure up.  I realize Sage is unique, not the athlete (and fortunately not the barker) that Murphy was.  But Annie is beginning to show some signs of Murph.

On the other hand, I also realize that I still miss my girl.  She was a phenomenal friend and companion.  There are dozens of moments every day when I wonder what Murphy would be doing, whether she would like this or that...

Annie is still the guppy, a pup in training, not only on responding to me, but in her own inherent "dogness."  There is certainly Murphy in her, as there is the uniqueness of Sage.  The trick is, of course, to help her find her own way.  In the meantime, I will keep thinking about Murph, remembering there was once a time she was the guppy, too.

Murphy's day.

No comments: