Friday, April 20, 2012

The Great Ones

This blog was started as a way for me to think, process, share the waning days with my beloved Yellow lab, Murphy.  She was a great dog, giving me and every one else who loved her, everything she had.  Each day created a new Murphy story, from her antics with the tennis ball, her vocal command of several octaves, her belief that she had a place at the table, and her gentle kindness....

When a pup comes into my life, I hold them up to my face and tell them "I will take care of you for the rest of your life."  But really, they are telling me that in spades.  Murphy took very good care of me.  Without her I am not sure I would have survived some pretty rugged times in my life.

Yet, even though the days seem long and wonderful when the pup joins, there is that inevitable sense that someday they will die.  And, that part of the journey is far too hard to describe.  There is a sense that dusk is near and those familiar sounds, smells, and feel of our old friend's fur will not be around tomorrow...

My heart carries Murphy with me every day.  She is alive in this house with stories, with signs from the girls that they have parts of her inside of them.  Each of the girls is unique but they also carry Murph.

And so, my dear friends Ann and Les are now dealing with their Kol.  He is a gorgeous boy, who lives a a great life in the Oregon Coast Range.  When I met him I decided to get Willa, just the thought of a Black lab ambling after Sage and Annie brought a smile.  This is a hard time for my friends.  We have them in our hearts.

No comments: