Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Three Years Later

It's been three years since Sage had her surgery on her left rear leg.  The vet warned me that she would have to have it on her right leg.  And so, I worried.

So far, three years later, the right leg seems to be holding up.  But, perhaps because of all the cold weather (it's been 5° cooler than seasonal norms this past month), Sage seems stiffer in her left leg.  In fact, last weekend she "hopped" on it for a moment, a sign that the leg is bothering her.

I also think the surgery changed Sage.  At first I didn't really see it, but now, I realize she doesn't like anyone, including me, to check on her.  It's hard to look at normal dings and small cuts without a growl.  And, even though I could also say it is her age, I sense that she can get cranky quickly.  My sweet baby Sage sometimes lets you know...

I was talking with some women a few days ago.  One woman was owned by two Goldens, another by two Leonburgers (wow, are those big dogs).  Each of them had had knee surgery on one of their dogs.  In fact, almost everyone I know has had to have knee surgery.  We got to talking about reasons (one theory was the Chuck-it).  Dogs, however, have been gunning it for balls for years...who knows...

But, I will watch Sage more carefully, again, this summer.  Neither of us want to go through the surgery, again.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: