Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Team Likes Orange

For those of you who know me well, you know I love sports.  Football, college basketball, and baseball (although these days, the Seattle Mariners are in the doghouse with me).  Today, the Major League Playoffs start.  And the San Francisco Giants are in the hunt.

While I have a personal beef with the President of the Giants (it's a long story, but let's just say he jilted a number of women here in Seattle), I have very fond memories of going to a Giants game with my father and brother.  We rarely, and I mean rarely, took family vacations.  But here we were in San Francisco and my mother wanted to roam the shops, so my Dad took my brother and I to a Giants game at the old Candlestick Park.  I still remember it.  I also remember my brother got a batting helmet that I really wanted and I got a bobble-head which were not as cool back then as they are now.  But when you see those dewey-eyed MasterCard ads about the time with kids at a ball game being priceless, well indeed, it's true.  50 years later and I still remember it.

I'll be cheering for those Giants, along with my family in California.  And I'll be thinking of my Dad, taking Mark and I to a game oh-so many years ago.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: