Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Columbus Day, 1962

When I was a little girl, my mother had a "night out."  Sometimes she would go downtown on the evening when stores stayed open and just "knock around."  Or sometimes she would go to a movie.  Back in the day when neighborhoods actually had a local movie theatre, she would "take in" a movie at the Magnolia Theatre.  My dad would stay home with my brother and me, tuck us in, then go pick her up.

On Columbus Day, 1962, the Pacific Northwest experienced an epic wind storm.  I think over 40 people died due to wind related injuries.

I still can not forget the sound of the wind on our home.  Lights flickered, trees crashed, and finally my father got up, telling my brother "you're in charge" (words, I am sure, my brother loved hearing!).  Dad darted out the front door and left to get Mom.  The whole time he was gone all I could think about were trees crashing on his car or hitting a live wire.

But they came home, both seeming to be nonplussed by the wind.  Calm.  And they tucked me in even while the wind was still pounding the house.

On Sunday night we had an unusual lightening and thunder storm.  One lightening bolt hit the Washington Ship Canal Locks, which is about 1.5 miles from the house.  It was the middle of the night.  Annie shook, Sage rustled.  And my job was to be nonplussed.  Calm.  It's what parents do.  I miss mine.

Murphy's Day.

No comments: