Sunday, January 27, 2008

Let it snow

Murphy came into this world during a particularly cold and snowy winter on the East Coast.  She has always loved snow.  The winter before we moved back to Seattle we took a trip to Vermont.  It was cold, crisp, and there was snow on the ground.  We stopped to let Murphy and Riley (my Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier), out.  And Murphy went nuts.  She looked like a NASCAR driver banking on the turns.  She ran along a bank, defying gravity, butt tucked, snow flying.  I could almost hear her Whahooooo!
And there are many many other Murphy snow stories.  So the past few days, when the NOAA forecasters started including snow in their projections, both Muphy and I got excited.  But none came.  We felt like we were stood up on a date.

Of course, I worry that keeping Murphy out in the cold may not be good for her various stiff joints and failing coordination in her hind legs.  But I also know if Murphy stands at the back door and gets a whiff of snow, I could not keep her from it.  Plus, we are both in the "seize the moment" frame of mind.

With that in mind, we went for a hike today.  A long hike.  There was snow, not a lot, but enough to protect Murphy from the rocks and roots on the trail.  Sage ran all over the mountain, reminding me of Murphy not long ago.  Murphy kept pace behind me. And then, like pulling the voila magic out of the hat, she started leaping over streams, climbing down rocks, and taking over the lead.  She got to a stream, maybe a foot wide, without pause, just took off.  Landing, she didn't even look back at me when I yelled: Whoa Murph, atta' girl!  She took it in stride, as if it was exactly what she was supposed to do.


Several months ago I watched a documentary on Frank Lloyd Wright.  At some point, when he was in his 60s architectural critics were writing him off, as if his best work was over and he was on his way to the retirement home.  But, as we all know, his best work was ahead of him, including the Guggenheim Museum.  He went to the edge of the stream, didn't pause, but leapt over it, as if that was what he was supposed to do.


I find myself chafing when pundits say John McCain is too old to run for President.  There is a wisdom with age, and while I may or may not agree with John McCain, certainly I appreciate his ability to leap over the obstacles, as if that is what he is supposed to do.


I learned something important today.  Murphy has always told me when she was ready to change her routine.  When she needed to stop her daily runs with me, she stopped coming down to the front door.  She knows her age and ability far better than I do.  She still has some leaps left in her.  And she certainly can not wait for snow.  She'll tell me.

Murphy's day.

No comments: