Monday, April 19, 2010

The World Went Silent

Early Saturday morning I got a call.  My father died.  Not unexpectedly, but, when is losing someone you love expected?  The thing about life is that we always hope.  You know hope. It's not a slogan, but a belief.  And we, we humans, always want to believe life will get better.  So it is with me.  I had hope Dad would heal, that he would show the tenacity I knew.  And he did, for many months.  But he finally decided, I think, that he wanted to be with Mom, with his beloved sister, his adored brother, his parents...

My father, who I will write about a lot this week, was a remarkable man.  Graduating from law school when he was 65.  Running several successful businesses before that, the go-to guy when my roof leaked, my house needed re-painting, or when I needed to learn how to ride a bike.  He raised cattle, boxed groceries, fought in a war, married the love-of-his-life, drew cartoons, coached football, re-did several homes, and always, everyday, told me he loved me.

My world went silent on Saturday morning.

Murphy's day.

1 comment:

Lesley G said...

I will keep you in my heart and prayers. With Love, Lesley G